- Kitchener, Ontario
- Apply by January 15, 2021
Most businesses pay their monthly electricity bill without understanding the details. As a licensed energy company, we developed a data-driven platform that gives businesses and their trusted partners the insights and tools they need to understand their bill. Understanding their bill helps large businesses unlock enormous savings opportunities. Last year alone, our customers saved $40 million and reduced 400 tons of CO2e.
Our core team has built out our Ontario business, and we are now looking to grow the team as we expand into other North American markets. If you are passionate about energy and the environment, and you are looking for the opportunity to own a project, you will fit right in! We are currently located in the awesome Communitech building in downtown Kitchener-Waterloo. The team is working from home for the time being, but we are excited to get back when the time is right.
What you’ll do
In your role you will be a founding member of the bill analysis and code breaking team at EnPowered, which means your work will include a mix of complex problem solving, operations, and strategy.
- The majority of your time will be spent trying to reverse engineer electricity bills; you will know the end result (the bill total), and you will know most of the inputs (usage, rates, etc.), but you will need to figure out the combination of inputs that deliver the correct output
- This may seem simple, unfortunately the electricity industry loves their exceptions, and so you will often need to find exactly how a utility is calculating a customers’ bill in order to accurately reverse engineer it
- This is currently done within a complex excel file, but as soon as a subset of customers’ bills have reliably been reverse engineered to 99.99% accuracy the product team will automate the process
- In summary, your job is to decrypt electricity bills to 99.99% accuracy, help the product team automate these calculations, and then continue to solve exceptions and problems as they arise
- Clearly explain to the product team how to automate the reverse engineering of electricity bills after you have successful decrypted them
- Leverage your knowledge of how bills work to support the sales enablement and customer success teams in answering customer questions about billing
- Work directly with the CEO to find unique savings opportunities and billing errors that can be leveraged as new solutions for our customers
- Work with other teams to help develop strategies to roll-out automated features faster in new markets and utility jurisdictions.
Who you are
- You love to solve problems and riddles; the kind of person who solves Sudoku puzzles to relax, who has an excel file to track your personal to dos, or plays video games with lots of graphs (EU4 or just about any paradox game)
- You are someone who wants to own their work; when you start you will have a list of to dos, but within 3 months you are expected to be largely independent and capable of prioritizing your own list of tasks
- You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment
- You have the proven ability to start and run your own projects from beginning to end
- You have strong communication skills and ability to collaborate across functions
- You have very advanced Excel skills, including strong knowledge of managing large files, manipulating Pivot Tables, and using Index functions
What we offer
EnPowered has health benefits, offers flexible schedules, regular team bonding events, a competitive salary, stock options, and a generous vacation policy.
If you are interested in applying, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, please let us know if you require any form of accommodation during the recruitment process.